Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hardest Critic is Yourself

I've been realizing lately that your hardest critic isn't a coach or the others that may judge you.  It's actually yourself.  In that last week I've gone through just about every emotion over my body image.  I look too big, too small, don't feel ready, maybe I should do this or not that.

Literally, my mind turned into someone with a disorder - where I looked in the mirror and thought "Hmm, this isn't right" or "Wow I think I looked different during this time last competition".  But the fact is you are really comparing yourself to the stage ready person you were the day of the competition.  It's not a real or logical viewpoint.

It's amazing how quickly you can change your body if you put your mind to it.  The goal always looks so far away when you are struggling with body image.
According to womenshealth.gov, "With a negative body image, a woman has a distorted perception of her shape and size, compares her body to others, and feels shame and anxiety about her body. Being unhappy with your body can affect how you think and feel about yourself as a person. A poor body image can lead to emotional distress, low self-esteem, unhealthy dieting habits, anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. Developing a positive body image and a healthy mental attitude is crucial to a woman's happiness and wellness."
The hardest critic is really yourself.  While influenced by outside factors, it actually boils down to your own view of yourself. To put yourself in a good mindset is the most important thing to getting you to your goal.  Positive affirmations daily and a little bit of support go a long way.  Utilize your friends and family and most of all your own positive attitude to get you through these times.  The goal is not as far or unattainable as you are thinking right now.  If the goal is important to you; you WILL get there and you WILL succeed.

More on ideal body and body image

1 comment:

  1. If there is one thing I have realized throughout training for my first show, it is that I don't need to be so hard on myself. You wrote about some great things for women to keep in mind on the road to whatever their goals may be! and you have a perfect bod!

    ReplyDelete