Thursday, April 15, 2010

Those Germans know how to get it done!!

"The large training volume appears to contribute not only to increased mass, but decreased body fat" (Hather, et al, 1992; Stone, O'Bryant, and Garhammer, 1981).
Early this week I started a new weight training program called "German Volume Training".  The general structure of these workouts is 10 sets of 5 reps at approximately 70% of my max.  Talk about intense!  It seems to allow me to lift a little bit more weight while still keeping my volume high (# of times I can lift the weight).  It's practically like cardio!   I've been noticing by about the 6th set I'm starting to feel a little out of breath and my body is literally getting hotter.  Enhanced thermogenics! 

Yesterday's workout AM:
10 minutes walking incline
10 minutes stationary bike

Yesterday's workout PM:
*All of these I completed with 10 sets at 5 reps.*
Press
DB Lateral raise
Barbell shoulder shrugs
DB BO Rear delts (ie. bent-over reverse fly)
Barbell bicep curls (5 sets of 5)

Abs - hanging leg lifts (20), decline situps (2x25), weighted situps (arms extended 8lb DB - 3x12)

I'm feeling good today and was down a pound or so this morning. YIKES! 9 days to go.

*If you try this workout: post results to comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment