Sunday, April 11, 2010

Healthy Options - Sure?!


Just about every morning like clockwork I get this craving to step inside a Starbucks, Peets, Tully's, etc. 

What makes me really want to go in there?  Am I really hungry?  Tired? Too much time?  Generally the answer is no.  For me, it's habit.  Despite the fact of knowing I really shouldn't go in and pay $3 for a black coffee, it's the buzz of those people going in and out of the doors.  They look so happy!

Carrying muffins, scones, blended beverages or lattes they just look so alive, energetic - coffee and food in hand.  But for me, everytime I walk into these places I'm tempted to get more than what I walked in for.  Yumm... look at those muffins, bagels, loafs...
So sometimes I give in to one of these "healthier" options with the thought it's lowfat it can't be that bad or look at those ingredients - it's doable. 
Described by Starbucks as "muffin made with real zucchini and topped with chopped walnuts...delicately spiced for a flavorful homey taste...you might want them again for lunch. Maybe dinner too."

Are you kidding?!  3 meals?!  This would more than my entire daily limit of calories - is it really that filling? 
This seemingly "healthy" option packs in 490 calories a piece, 28g fat, 21% of a normal persons daily limit of sodium and over 50g carbs (only 2g of which are fiber). 
Do yourself a favor and just avoid.  Don't go for the food on the run or the seemingly better option. It always backfires. Instead grab your coffee and pick up a hardboiled egg or jerky, if your paleo - if not, at least a cup of greek yogurt to get some protein in.  If nothing else a piece of fruit, something with a little fiber!!

No comments:

Post a Comment